This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

[HELP CANCER RESEARCH] Colorless Folding@Home (Thread)

Hey there friends!

So I was thinking, we should all come together and do something to help the world, much like the Dollars tried to be a positive force in Ikebukuro.

Seeing as how we're located all over the world, the only way for everyone to participate is THROUGH THE INTERWEBZ.

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world, which is being used to study the folding of proteins to learn more about numerous cancers and other diseases.

Basically, by donating a small portion of your computer's (or PS3's!) CPU usage, Colorless can help further this noble cause.

Even if your computer isn't that up-to-par, you can still just tell the program to run when you aren't using it. I'm sure most of us leave our computers on all day anyway, when we aren't rapidly refreshing the homepage.

You can find out more about F@H and download it at http://folding.stanford.edu/

The website allows you to keep track of your folding statistics, as well as that of your team.

I've just started our our Colorless team. When you run the program for the first time, you can configure your username/team number. Our number is 190680.

Thank you to anyone who actually sat and read all of this, and those of you who decide to participate. If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer them (but probably just look at the FAQ anyway).

I actually really like the idea. I've been thinking that we should do something like this actually. Well, I was thinking about pro-life marches and all that but that would require much more planning and gathering. When I have free time though, I'll be sure to download this and let it run.

Will participate using my PS3 :D

Wait wha? I don't get it...D:

Ahh...
To put it simply, if you run this program you can help contribute to cancer research and stuff, and it only takes a little bit of your computer's memory.
So we should all try to help out!

Ooooh I see~

it says i need xp/2003/vista, but i have 7. will that still work?

Yes, I'm currently running it with 7 (64-bit).

Im setting it up now ^-^

Setting it up now. I do hope, though, that it's a ridiculously small program.

Edit: It's now on attempt #7 to connect to the server as I type this. Still no luck. D:

Hmm...I'll install it after I do a complete wipe of my laptop (so I don't have all that junk I don't need)

@Takanashi
If you configure and go to the Connection tab, you may be able to connect to the server through a proxy, or you can try opening one of the ports it lists at the bottom.

I'll try that, tomorrow. :3

:o This isn't a bad idea at all! Kaddy's gonna participate too! >w<

I'm running it right now 8D

@Taka
If that doesn't work, try checking out http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=151

Ah, another good idea to help others. I'm kinda pround of you guys =)

I like this idea, I'll participate

@Kirn
The team number for Colorless is already in my original post

So far, Kaddy and I have completed 1 unit of work. Keep it up, everyone!

@Hakuto, I'm joining~~!

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users