This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Something about life and God... (Thread) - Page 3

@InsaneBoredGame I like your two cents :) ...i lost the game.

@InsaneBoredGame Took the words out of my mouth, bro.

@InsaneBoredGame Yeah, they have somehow same goal, but different methods.

reminds me of Walt Whitman's book of poetry "Leaves of Grass."
it's kind of exactly what every poem was saying :D

I would definitely agree that the point of religion/science isn't necessarily to understand everything, but to describe it. the reason people seek either (or both) is to try and understand things, and given that everyone is different, I think it's totally safe to say that there are countless and unlimited understandings of reality.

also, in regards to creationism/evolution, you could even argue the point that evolution in no way discredits creationism. If you're going to entertain the possibility of a being capable of creating everything we know, why would you presume to know that they couldn't possibly put in backstory, even if the stuff the backstory explained didn't actually 'happen?' A figure capable of creating every physical law and all the associated minutiae couldn't possibly create a fossil record for creatures that didn't actually 'exist?'
Like, for example, if you believe Adam was the first man, did he or did he not have a belly button? That sort of thing. Of course, then you're totally stuck in the 'why?' debate, and that seems as impossible to answer as the how.

I believe what your philosophy has lead you to is the so-called 'pantheism.'
I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but you might want to look into it if you haven't. I've been dabbling in similar philosophies myself, and felt energized when I learned about that term.

I'm mainly agnostic, accepting the fact that there is nothing I can know for sure, other than the fact that there's nothing I can know for sure. However, I think a lot and see different possibilities that I find more likely than others. These exclude religion and include some mix of pantheism and atheism. It sort of depends on what you lay in the term 'God.'

awesome its a god thread. my two sense- god cannot be disproved for he is an all knowing being. if you dont fall you dont experience life, if you dont experience life you dont form a personality therefore god doesnt raise a finger. ive got more :)

God is everything,
What is matter? If you break everything there is in this existence down to molecules, you will find that everthing here on earth... even the most solid rock exists out of 99% nothing.
But what is this 1% that is something? For lack of better words, I call this energy. So all the energy that makes up this universe could be considered god.
It is everywhere, yet it is nowhere to be seen. Could this energy be concious? I have no idea, this is how far my theory goes.

Yep, this is just a theorie I came up with after reading about a lot of differents believes.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kuu2GgCxF10/TVN_F5-8H-I/AAAAAAAAAMU/sjx6D2-O9No/s1600/brain-cell-universe-1.jpg

god from in science has been dwindled into an omnipresent entity. he does not consist of time, matter, or space. This is the science of it. it can be further explained on youtube. there are a couple thick heads that argue this but are inevitably destroyed and vis versa for the Christians who strictly follow blindly.

@Ladu ooh ive heard something like that just recently and that if you look at atoms and even deeper than that that it looks like a little universe and if you look at out universe it looks like some sort of cell or something. its crazy lol

As a Christian going into a field of research (Neuro something, mostly likely Neurobiology), I have an interesting take on the universe. It requires a few assumptions, but they aren't long leaps to make in my opinion.
If god exists and is sentient, he made the universe 100% perfect. I back this statement up with the logic that if god has the ability to make everything in the universe, he must understand it. God must be vastly more intelligent then us, for he made us and the universe we learn from. If he did not understand the universe and the way that things interact within it, we would have died a LONG time ago.
Now before you say my point can be refuted by entropy and various other forces that will, in time, lead to the end of the universe; that is intended. When I say that the universe is 100% perfect, I mean that. Hate crime, abuse, war, etc. All intended functions of the universe. As such, we can learn how god wishes for us to work with the world by analyzing the world itself.
So when I think of religion, I compare it to the world. Christianity preaches love, which makes interaction, affection, and various other good feelings possible. Animals live in communities because those that didn't perished. Thus, we are meant to live in harmony, not dissonance. We can learn, so we should. We are appalled by murder because it's bad, and hurts the group and of course, the individual. All these things point to the community, so we should unite, rather than separate. The universe will end some day because so that... well I don't know. But why would it end unless it was best for it to do so?
I personally believe that god created the universe, for reasons I might go into later (this is long enough already). The purpose of life is to live it fully, experiencing all it has to offer. All these elements of life were intentional and will ultimately lead to a more enjoyable life. Be it a disaster that teaches us to live and love, or is the act of living and loving itself. The universe was made perfectly, just waiting for us to find the good in every piece of it. And if someone claims that god wanted something else for us, something other than his best intentions, I will disagree.

@VivoDePyre that's a very good theory. Although I don't think the universe would just end... in any case :D well never know til we know.

Hm..I am not christian. I'm Buddhist :D

I don't think I can believe in one religion. I grew up in a predominately christian family as well, and had pretty misguided views of the world when I was younger because of it. I do believe it is possible for there to be something else out there. A creator of sorts, if not just a being overlooking life. And if this being really did love mankind as much as they did, they wouldn't condemn them for what they are or believe.

Sounds confusing...basically, I just have a problem with religions as they all seem to claim that their god/gods/deities love and cherish mankind, but if you do this or are this way said higher level being will still love you, but punish you even if you're the nicest person in the world. It sickens me that (most main) religions will say that if you agree with their beliefs, and yet you're closed minded and selfish, you get everlasting happiness. Whereas if you're kind and accepting of the world, but don't agree to a certain aspect of the religion, you get punished.

I believe that if any of these religions are even close to being true, the original believers and worshipers warped it to fit their own beliefs and needs. Because if there really is a loving, pure-hearted being out there, I doubt that they would judge people based on rules that contradict what mankind is. Mankind is diverse, and because of that it is almost impossible to judge someone based on their beliefs and orientations. Especially since everyone is gray. I don't believe there is such a thing as a person who is completely pure, and also don't believe that anyone is completely evil.

Sorry if none of this makes sense. xD

@KonoBeat I understand where you come from, and I've heard this before from various people. Something you need to understand, is that it isn't all religions. It's more common among Abrahamic and western religion, but many eastern religions believe in good deeds, and many western religions will at least have some kind of passage regarding being good at heart.

I know a bit about other religions, but I'm not comfortable saying anything on their behalf. I'm good with Christianity though, because I am Christian. Now, before I continue, I'd like to point out that I don't think you need to conform to my opinion or convert, any of that jazz. It's a bad rep that we seem to have gotten from soap box preachers and the intolerant.

James 2:14-26

What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,"and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

The point behind this is that faith alone does not deliver a person into heaven. You can't simply say that you love Jesus and god, then go to heaven. Good things must come of your faith.

Matthew 7:21

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Another similar passage. To simply go to church and claim love for the lord is not enough. You must follow the will of god to take claim in heaven.

The idea behind Christianity, regarding good acts, is this. You need to faith to understand and interpret God's will. We read the bible to try and find the truth, what is good and what is bad. For instance, people who have at least of mild comprehension of Christianity understand the importance of love, forgiveness, and acceptance. However, we must also have acts. To simply know these things is not enough. We must forgive our enemies, show love to all men and women, etc.

I cannot judge another person, for I am imperfect. I forget these things on occasion, as I'm sure some of you have seen. However, I feel like those people who protest homosexuality with directed anger and hatred do not show or propagate the will of god. The may have faith in the lord, but they have no acts or evidence. As such, they might not go to heaven.

@Konobeat i agree with your ideas. i kind of think people have to find their own truth because its infinite.
i think alot of religions have some truth in them but also alot of things that arent. when a church or religion disagrees ona aspect they tend to split off into other churches...so its all a matter of interpretation.

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users