This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Why am I so happy just by buying a new cellphone?? (Thread)

It's not like I just changed my life or anything, I just have a better phone, but Im so happy I could scream "HAPPIIINNESSSSSSS!!!!~~<3" to the world!
Why do you think buying things makes everone sooo happy? Is it just because of the culture we live in? Or is there something more...
Sorry, Im just bored :P (and happy).

@Matsu: I felt the same way last year when I bought my current phone. I still love my phone to today. It fits more with my persona. ^~~^

Cell phones are the modern day equivalent of the samurai sword. They're always with you, usually the most important item in your possession, and completely personalized. Why wouldn't you get excited? Your cell phone defines who you are.

completely personalized... coughsapplecoughs

Anyway, my cellphone is freaking old and I don't care for anything else than the clock.

But yeah, buying stuff you appreciate gets you happy rather well. Ordering merchandise is just like that, or buying a CD you've liked for years. Or collecting books, even if you still read your other ones.
Bringing things you like into your possession simply feels great.

@DarkChaplain find me two people who's iphones are set up exactly the same.

Personally the reason I was so happy with my new phone was simply because I love gadgets of all types.

@DarkChaplain
It's possible to jailbreak iphones to remove all the restrictions on it and it's legal, atleast in the US.

@Matsu
"Material Possessions Attachment".

completely personalized... coughsapplecoughs

Implied slang for individuals that purchase significant amounts of Japanese capsule toys and hanging excessive amounts of them off of your phone to look like a complete idiot.

But yeah, buying stuff you appreciate gets you happy rather well. Ordering merchandise is just like that, or buying a CD you've liked for years. Or collecting books, even if you still read your other ones. Bringing things you like into your possession simply feels great.

The way this statement is composed makes it sound like emotional attachment to material objects in a negative sense. This particular behavior is usually induced from factors such as; inferiority complex, emotional desire, psychological dependency, the intrinsic desire to follow a bigger crowd, etc. Individuals usually utilize this method as a way to bring temporary happiness as a means to escape from their bigger problems and is usually the result of an emotional "want", similar to the concept of how drug addicts function.

find me two people who's iphones are set up exactly the same.

I can probably accomplish this because average consumer electronics owners don't really take the time to personalize their stuff. As long as the product is functional and can carry out its intended purpose in a satisfactory manner, most people don't really care about the superfluous extras.

It's possible to jailbreak iphones to remove all the restrictions on it and it's legal, atleast in the US.

But it still doesn't fix the plethora of other issues that plague the platform such as the shitty unibody antenna zero-reception problem (iPhone 4 Antennagate, dubbed as "The Biggest Tech Fail of 2010"). The company also currently possesses a shitty image in the consumer electronics marketplace. Steve Jobs and Apple, instead of admitting that they made an engineering screw-up, they created a whole webpage on Apple's website (which was removed) stating that the problem did not exist and then later changing it to explain that their unibody antenna issue was not as problematic as all of the other manufacturers and their phones. They even included pictures of how to hold various other phones wrong to receive a similar zero-reception problem on a worse scale (which was complete bull) and wrote brief descriptions of how every other phone on the market was crap in the face of the iPhone 4.

Expectations:
Steve Jobs (presenting the iPhone 4): "This is part of some brilliant engineering. Which actually uses the stainless steel band as part of the antenna system, it has never been done before".
Reality:
http://i.imgur.com/XtAss.jpg

@darkchaplain same with me: dammn old phone, only to get phoned. brofist

Let's talk about Cars, @Spooky =)

Let's talk about Cars, @Spooky =)

It would be like talking to a moldy, half-collapsed brick wall since you probably can't comprehend how a liquid can ignite. You kinda need to actually own an automobile yourself and have a certain degree of mechanical competency, duh. Talking about technical concepts always forces your diminutive brain to undergo severe inception.You should stick to flippin' burgers at ßürgërKîng.

http://i.imgur.com/87fM1.jpg

Well, its not like you actually need the other side to be interested in what you're talking about anyway, as long as you can have a place to rant.

Anyway, you did not seem to get the point, so whatever. Have fun.

The projection of anger.
The first stages of butthurt disorder.

http://i.imgur.com/lXlaT.gif

I'm perfectly calm, Spooky =) How about yourself?

http://i.imgur.com/Tl8Z8.gif

=]

"I sent that bitch a smiley,
Bitches love smiley faces."
- Ed Wuncler

whats up with the picture-only reactions?

@break who knows? It probably makes perfect sense to @Spooky, though.

Ah,
The classic method popularized by idiots to triumph over any given scenario by blocking it out through utilizing the social proofing concept.
Undeniable proof of being mad.

@Spooky

But it still doesn't fix the plethora of other issues that plague the platform such as the shitty unibody antenna zero-reception problem...

This has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about does it? Also I can say from personal experience that the antenna problem is very minor and doesn't actually affect using the phone, unless you're already in an area with very bad reception.

And what's with all the cursing and insults?

@Spooky I like you ^^

@everyone_else I never really use my phone, Im gonna give it more use since its new and techy and that, but Im not a cellphone person :/
I'm just happy :)

@Spooky Your my new hero.

And I rarely use my phone unless i get a call or if i need to text to someone for something (I hate talking). But I'm sure i got the same feeling as Matsu got when i brought a shirt from an anime convention(Louisianime). It was a Prinny shirt, which was brought most enthusiastically as I was in my Prinny costume... Felt so right to buy that shirt... It completed me. (Lol)

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users