This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Actionscript 3... Does it have a good side? (Thread)

First for a quick note on my experience with Actionscript 3. I am a programmer, and have been programming in C++ for about 6 years now, I started doing some Actionscript 3 projects for my work about a year ago and have not found the reason why people like it so much.

My question to everyone who knows Actionscript 3 to please share your thoughts on the language.

My personal thoughts is that it is slow, underdeveloped, too slacking in catching errors when compiling, and too loose in general as a language. I know it is only a scripting language, but it is trying to act like a fully fledged language and everyone tried to use it like one. The only thing I find that it does good is make it easy to put a graphic on the screen, but really that's only when you make the graphic in flash and have it in the library for your project.

It appears to me you know what your talking about. yes this will be quite irrelevant. youve learned c++ but ive been told javascript is now moving up to top dawg. i wouldnt know. what are your thoughts?

AS3 is a lot like Java. It's not hard to learn at all. OOP is cool.
Make sure to look into memory-graphics lag though. Hint: Boolean arrays are your friends.

btw since you know C++ would you mind if I ask you a simple question about it?

Javascript is being used a lot for interactive website, but not as much for games. AS3 is use the most, as far as I know, for web games.

AS3 does share a lot of similarities with Java, but java is a more robust language.

@Shigeru sure, just send me over a PM.

@hazuki257 Yeah, Java's robustness is its appeal. I do like AS3 when it comes to its graphics interface.

Flash however I feel is being challenged as of late, especially with the coming of HTML5. It still has its uses to learn if you want to do animation stuff or web game stuff. Otherwise I'm not sure how much you need it. XD

thank you

If you don't know about AS2, then moving to AS3 should be a breeze to you.

Something that has recently come to my attention that shows the power of HTML 5 and Javascript together is a new game engine coming out for use on mobile phones called Spaceport.

Here is a link to it if anyone want to look at it, i know this is a bit off topic for the thread, but I thought it was relevant to what people have been saying.

http://sibblingz.com/technology.html

Made a discovery today with my friend. AS3 defies the whole "arrays can only store one type of data" limitation thing. I made an array that had a string, a character, and an integer in it. Me being used to low-level languages like C, this kinda blew my mind.

Ya, the side effect is everything is stored as an object in the array, and make it slow. AS3 has a vector though, and it is basically a typed array (flash 10 and newer only).

var vect:Vector.<String> = new Vector.<String>();

So today I got this error:

Warning: 3590: int used where a Boolean value was expected. The expression will be type coerced to Boolean.

So I naturally checked my code to see what I had written to cause this warning:

fade_ovrly_bool    =    1;

Apparently Flash doesn't realise immediately that 1 is true... I hate this thing sometimes.

If you're pursuing the future then flash is not for you

`New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

-Steve Jobs`

You may hate jobs, but the guy did build a media empire!

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users