This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

The Colorless AMV Contest! (Winners Announced!) (Thread)

After seeing so many members interested in the idea, I was motivated to begin this, as soon as possible!

Now, let's get this Contest started!

Round 3

Please sign up by posting in this thread!

AMV Theme: Character Tribute

Deadline: Friday, March 2nd

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Contest Procedures
After the success of our first round, we will repeat numerous AMV contests with different themes involved. However, our very first round didn't have any specific theme, but all of our following ones' will be determined with a poll.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules

• The most important rule of all: The AMV must be your own work and not stolen from another editor. Believe me, there are very easy ways in finding out if the AMV isn't yours.
  • Participants must be registered on TheColorless for at least one month, by the end of the submission cycle.
  • The AMV must be made by one individual or by a team of two members. All participants should be users registered on this website.
  • Please give an Original Title to your AMV, in order to simplify the voting sequence.
  • Only one AMV per participant/team, per round.
  • Users can register at any time, as long as they submit before the deadline.
  • You are free to feature more than one anime in your AMV.
  • The duration of the video must not be under one minute and must also not exceed the length of six minutes.
  • Keep your AMVs on a SFW(Safe for Work) level. Ecchi is allowed though. In addition, Please make sure that the song you choose does not hold any vulgar lyrics.
  • Your AMV must have only one audio track, unless you plan on using an official mix. (Your audio track can be in any language.)
  • No intros or outros(credits at the beginning and end of the AMV), in order to make sure that the duration is equally respected. (However, adding credits over your AMV, is acceptable.)
  • Karaokes/Sing-Alongs, over the video, are accepted but not obligatory.
  • Video Game Sequences are accepted, as long as they are linked to the anime you are using. (Examples: .hack//, Persona, Naruto, etc.) ***
  • The Singer/Band's Music Video sequences are accepted. ***
  • Pseudo-3D is allowed(moving images over your video), but they must be linked to the anime you are using. (Examples: Related Manga, Doujinshi, etc.) ***
  • Live Action Scenes(Japanese, Korean, etc.) are acceptable, if they are an in-real-life version of the anime you are using. ***
  • You can use MMD Technology to create additional characters, but they must all be part of the anime chosen for your AMV. ***
  • Last but not least, please try to not include any sequences with subtitles, unless they serve an important purpose. (Example: Translation of a non-English audio track.)

*** All these five features, when put together, must not exceed more than 50% of your AMV.

How will we vote?

For quite some time, the poll system has caused quite some trouble to the users who have already voted at least once on this thread. Actually, if a new poll was created in the same thread they voted in, in the past, it would sometimes result in an error message, leading to their impossibility to vote.

In order to fix this issue and give a fair chance to all of the participants, a board of judges will be established to replace the polls.

Software Suggestions

In the audio and video-editing world, you have a huge choice of programs to choose from. In the following text, I will enumerate the most-used ones and their common uses in the AMV field.

Video-Editing Software

• Windows Movie Maker Free!
    Although having the reputation of not being the best video editing program out there, Window Movie Maker is the perfect software for beginners who are only willing to ''try out'' making an AMV. Coupling this program with Adobe After Effects(see below) might still give professional results. In addition, all Microsoft Windows users should already have this installed on their operating system.

• Sony Vegas Pro Recommended
    One of the most flexible and advanced video-editing programs on the market. While not having the advantage of being free, this program holds almost no limits on what you could make of your video. It all comes down to familiarizing yourself with the different features and learning how to use them to your advantage. For the big fans of Pseudo-3D(see rules), it's quite an easy feat to accomplish with Sony Vegas Pro.

• Adobe Premiere Pro
    Very similar in flexibility to Sony Vegas Pro. In the end, it all comes down to which interface you are more comfortable with.

• Pinnacle Studio Affordable
    An editing software with reasonable features and countless editing possibilities. While being around three times less expensive than other popular video-editing programs, its editing tools still do the job quite well and enable any beginner to learn reasonably fast. (Download the Free Trial, here!)

• Power Director Affordable
    Very similar to what Pinnacle Studio has to offer, with the special exception of being six times less expensive than popular video-editing programs, instead of three times. Power Director, when compared to Pinnacle Studio, has an interface that resembles more the professional video-editing programs. Again, it all depends on which one you find more user-friendly and comfortable to use. (Download the Free Trial, here!)

• Adobe After Effects Recommended for effects
    Sure, all three programs listed above have their own effects to offer, but they are not as easy to implement as they are with Adobe After Effects. After you are done putting your frames together in one of the other basic video-editing programs, you can transfer your work in Adobe After Effects in order to add effects more easily. If you're a fan of overlapping videos and frame-color variations, I strongly recommend you to use this program. Pseudo-3D(see rules) is also possible with this.

Converters

• Free Video Converter (Get it here!)
    If you're one who has a collection of anime series in MKV format, downloading RAWs in not necessary at all. In fact, due to MKV files containing soft subtitles, instead of having them hard-printed on the frames, they are quite easy to exclude, by using this software.

• SUPER (Get it here!)
    The content is quite similar to the converter mentioned above. In fact, if you'd like to push your codec knowledge further and if you are someone who needs to use a converter quite often, SUPER might be a more professional choice for you.

Above, I've only mentioned the most-used programs in AMV-Making. If you have any other one to suggest, please do not hesitate to share, in order for me to add it to this list.

Upload Tips and Submissions

Option 1: If you plan to upload your AMV on Youtube

• Either use a watermark and/or mirror your video.
  • If you do not want to add a watermark or mirror your AMV, you can upload it as a private video, which can only be viewed by those who have the link. However, your video will not appear in the search results.
  • Private or not, it is always important to credit the content of the AMV. You can access websites like Anime News Network or Anime DataBase, to get all the credits you need for the anime. Furthermore, the music artist's publisher should not be too difficult to find, using Google. Please make sure to include this information in your video descriptions.

Option 2: If you rather not take any chances with Youtube

You can send me your AMV by uploading it on a file hosting website, such as Mediafire or 4Shared. I will then take care of mirroring or adding a watermark to your videos(whichever option you prefer best) and upload it on a Youtube channel which I will be creating for this contest. Furthermore, I will obviously credit you by mentioning that you are the user who made this AMV.

Option 3: If you have another Upload Website in mind

Uploading your videos on other websites, other than Youtube, is totally acceptable. As long as the members can access your AMVs from this thread, there is no problem at all with this alternative.

Winners of Round 3

To be determined.

Winners of Round 2

AMV Theme: Angst

• 2nd Place: Extinction by @Lotto
  • 3rd Place :Lonely Eyes by @break (Click the thumbnail to view.)
    gentle_hands.avi

Winners of Round 1

AMV Theme: Editor's Choice

• 1st Place: Paper Wings by @13
  • 2nd Place: City of Black and White by @Noodle
  • 3rd Place :The Strongest by @Akidzuki (Click the thumbnail to view.)
    The_Strongest.wmv

Participants - Round 3

@Akidzuki
@break
@Inasda
@InsaneBoredGame
@Kitto
@Lotto
@Mairu_Orihara
@n1xx
@Noodle
@VivoDePyre

Round 3

AMV Theme: Character Tribute

No entries, yet!

Round 2

AMV Theme: Angst

• Lonely Eyes by @break (Click the thumbnail to view.)
    gentle_hands.avi

• Fa├žade of the Fallen by @Noodle

Round 1

AMV Theme: Editor's Choice

Watch on 4Shared!

• The Strongest by @Akidzuki (Click the thumbnail to view.)
    The_Strongest.wmv

• This is warz by @Lotto

Watch on 4Shared!

• City of Black and White by @Noodle

Watch on 4Shared!

• Paper Wings by @13

Download Mirror 1
Download Mirror 2

• Misa's Heart Skips A Beat by @Sa_Ki

Editing Tips

Beat Synchronization Guide

(Many thanks to @VivoDePyre for writing this complete guide.)

Quick Guide for Syncing to the Beat

1. Get your song of choice onto your computer before anything else. You'll want the file to be in MP3 format, rather than FLAC. If you have software that will let you use FLAC and software to measure BPM, then you can ignore this requirement.

2. Download a BPM counter from http://www.abyssmedia.com/bpmcounter/ and use it to get your Beats Per Minute. Depending on the speed of the song, you may get anywhere from 100 to 180. (If your song is higher than 180, good luck you crazy bastard.) If your song seems like it has a moderate tempo but you get a number in the 200+ range, divide it by two.

3. Now for the fun part. You want to find out some simple units of measure that you need for good synchronization. Rather than plug and pray, we can use numbers to decide how long a clip should be. My song (Baby Please Come Home : Anberlin) is 149.96 or rounded up to 150. Most songs will have a fairly even BPM. To find out how long one measure is, I plug it into this. Let Y = Beats/Minute. (x is simply multiplication sign) Z = Second length of 1 measure

Y/240 = Measures per Second (In my case, 0.625)
MPS x Z = 1 or Z = 1/MPS (For me, this comes to 1.6)

This means that if a scene lasts for exactly 1.6 seconds, it will cover 1 measure of my song. The begging of the song has a good section that lasts for two measures, so I need to make a 3.2 second clip.

Now, be wary of how your program splits up the clip. It may do it by frames or by seconds. If yours uses timecode like many do, increments less than seconds are measured in frames. NTSC is lawlzy, and has 29.97 frames a second. You may need to trim a frame off here and there depending on where you got your video files. So now we go back to the numbers. To find the number of frames from the decimal place in your MPS:

100/29.97 = 3.336
Decimal place x 3.336

Mine in this case comes to 6.672 frames, rounded up to 7 frames. However, after doing 2 at 7 frames, I'll need 1 at 6 to keep it consistent.

This seems like a lot of numbers and work, yes. However, after you've figured it all out, it will make your AMV look much better. It will also be much easier to time.

(Note: Check your video files before assuming you have NTSC. The current Japanese broadcast system works on NTSC-J, which is the same framerate. however, film can be captured in NTSC-film, which is 23.97. I am currently unaware how to check for that, but be wary if you are using an anime movie. If anybody has information on this, please let me know.

Sounds cool. I have done video editing in the past but never made an AMV before. I'll try my best~

Can I post AMV I made few months ago?

I will take part!

@ShounenBoy
Of course! I don't see anything wrong with past works, as long as they follow the rules mentioned above. :)

@InsaneBoredGame
Having already done video-editing in the past, I have no doubt that you'll adapt pretty quickly in to making AMVs. :D

@Shiruke
Yay! Let's all have fun competing in this~!

I'll have to make new one. Because my old works are too short.

@ShounenBoy
I've explored a few of your videos on your Youtube channel(which are pretty amazing, by the way) and I've come across a few that are around forty-five seconds-long. If you'd like to enter one of those, I could modify the rules to a range of 0:45-6:00 minute-length.

The duration I've set-up was nothing but an estimation of what people submit in general. Everything is still left for discussion. :)

Well, I didn't make new video for a long time and this is great occasion for me to make one. :D
So, when I thought, I decided I'll make new (and better than previous ones). :)

@ShounenBoy
Awesome, then! :D
I'm looking forward to watching it!

I'll try and make something. I'll sign up if I find the time and energy to start a new project :3

Edit: Will there be multiple winners like "Best editing" or "Best creativity"?

@Noodle
That's actually a very good idea! :o
I'll only be implementing something similar in the next rounds though.

For now, we'll proceed with a general preferential vote(a simple Top 3), in order to test-run our first round.~

(This decision may change, if ever a vast majority ask for categories in the first round.)

I will need to look into exactly what I would need to do and see if I have time. I'll get back to you if I can.

I'm not sure if I have enough time for this, but I think I will participate.

Count me in ^^ . Can we team up with someone for this or its a solo project ?

Im in! It probably won't be very good but...meh~ I have some evil schemes up my sleve anyways~ ;D

Ja ne~

I might join this. Haven't done an amv in some time though.

I'll try to make one, but I've never made one before

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users