This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

The Colorless AMV Contest! (Winners Announced!) (Thread) - Page 3

@ShounenBoy
There is another way for you to prevent breaking the law and it's to make your video private. By setting it on private, it will not appear in search results and will only be viewable to those who have the link, thus it will not directly be traceable. (And it shouldn't bother TV Tokyo as well, because not many people will be able to give you credit for it.)

I could try to participate.
I have yet to finish my ealier works, as I've started several. But, hei, this seems like a perfect chance to motivate myself.
Thank you for hosting this project, I hope I'll be able to finish it by the deadline. ^^

Btw, does the song have to be in English? I have a great song, but it's not in english... Is this allowed? If not, maybe allow subtitles so you can still use it?

@Sylphie
Any song, in any language, is accepted for this project. As long as it respects the precisions mentioned in the rules, on the first page.

As for subtitles, you are free to use some if they are a translation of the song you're choosing. In addition, karaokes/sing-alongs may also be inserted in your AMV. :3

@n1xx Yeah, with subtitles I meant translation.
Thanks for clarifying.

I'd love to enter!! I use iMovie though, would that be okay?
Also, most clips I've got have english subtitles since they're in japanese... Is that acceptable or should I use the couple anime I have with no subs? I'm pretty sure I could make a decent video out of them too :)

I would look for some raw files---> no subs..personally I think subs ruin any chance of an AMV being good.

And the last rule is:

Last but not least, please try to not include any sequences with subtitles, unless they serve an important purpose in the AMV. (Example: Translation of a non-English audio track.)

Thanks, I'll either download some raw files or just use another anime... So we can use any anime we like right?

@lunar_explosion
You can use any video-editing software that fits your needs. As long as you can render the AMV into a video format that is accepted by Youtube, I see no problem with your choice at all.

Also,

You are free to feature more than one anime in your AMV.

Furthermore, I would please ask you to read the rules on the first page, before starting to plan your editing. ;)

@TK-421
Thank you for quoting that part of the rules and for reading them as well. ;3

@Sylphie
You're very welcome. <3

I would like to participate :D I have some experience on creating montages for FPS games. Always wanted to do a AMV.

I do need some extra information on why we should use a watermark or mirror? Is this in case it gets stolen? <=o

also need more info on "No intros or outros", You probably meant an intro that is only showing the authors name? Because if you work on some AMV with a small story line in it, it needs an intro for the title of the amv right?

@n1xx Thanks for the info! :) I'll definitely enter if I get the time!

@Ladu

I do need some extra information on why we should use a watermark or mirror? Is this in case it gets stolen? <=o

That is one of the reasons. More importantly, your AMVs need to be viewable by the Colorless community, in order for the users to vote. By not mirroring and/or watermarking your video, it can be removed from Youtube, thus making it a lot more complicated for your submission. In other words, it is to prevent your video from being deleted off of Youtube, for copyright purposes.

No intros or outros(credentials at the beginning and end of the AMV), in order to make sure that the duration is equally respected.

What I meant by this, was simply anything that doesn't make your AMV linear. Editors make intros and outros for different reasons, but we often see them being used for credits.

In this case, if editors have credits to include, they can write them in their video descriptions, but their AMV needs to contain only the AMV and nothing else. The reason for this, as quoted above from the rules, is to make sure that the duration is equally respected by every member.

You probably meant an intro that is only showing the authors name?

That situation is a perfect example of what I meant. :)

@n1xx
Thank you, that answered all my questions :)

Never made an AMV before, but I'll give it a shot.

Interested. Never made an AMV before, but that's because...it's complicated. However I do have all the tools to do it, and now I just need to illegally download anime episodes that I've already bought legally for obvious reasons lol.

Frankly, I want to do this one idea that I've had in my head for at least 8 years, but I need to re-watch the whole season of Rurouni Kenshin to find all the good scenes.

And I need to get a summer job, even though college just finished, so you would think I would have tons of time.

But, this is a good time of year for most of the students on Colorless to make an AMV. Others are in secondary school, and it's either almost over (Eeh gads! Finals!) or it's over already.

@n1xx What if the "intro" actually happens while the song is playing and includes the author's name there in a more unique manner whilst still including clips from anime? The length of the AMV would be the length of the song itself and nothing more.

Also, does it matter what site we upload to? I don't really want to upload to YouTube.

I will participate :)
I'm very busy because it's almost summer and I have to do loads of work soo yeah I will create time to make my first amv :'( and participate my first amv contest xD

@Shigeru

What if the "intro" actually happens while the song is playing and includes the author's name there in a more unique manner whilst still including clips from anime?

Including the author's name or any other kinds of credits over the video, is accepted, since, like I have mentioned above, it will still make your AMV linear.

A perfect example of an accepted work, would be Nostromo's Binary Overdrive:

In the AMV above, the editor did not create an introduction or an outro, for that matter. He included the AMV's title, band name and track title, over his video. Thus, any types of credits written over your AMV are more than accepted.

What isn't allowed isn't the credits or the author's name, but the intros and outros. An intro and/or an outro, in this case, mean different video sequences, with different audio tracks, that are made to introduce and close your AMV(which most of them are used for credits). Referring to my last definition, intros and outros are not accepted, because we would like all members to respect the duration mentioned in the rules.

The length of the AMV would be the length of the song itself and nothing more.

Which is what I perfectly mean by keeping the AMV linear.

Also, does it matter what site we upload to? I don't really want to upload to YouTube.

It doesn't matter at all. As long as the members will be able to view your video from here, you can upload it on any website that will enable them to do so. :)

@Kyuu

Rurouni Kenshin

:D

I would be more than thrilled if you will be entering that AMV in the contest! Being a huge fan of Kenshin myself, it's always great to feel the passion for it, in other people's works. ;3

@N1xx that AMV was pretty inspiring o.o
Does Tekkonkinkreet count as Anime? I'd love to make an AMV out of it.

Just read about how the voting was gonna go. While that would certainly make the tallying easier, people could make tons of ghosts accounts, etc. The only other way to ensure this won't happen would be way too complicated and time consuming. >:

I think the best idea would be to have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place be decided by a panel of judges and for there to be a poll for a special winner, perhaps known as the spotlight? This would be chosen by the most "popular" video voted by users through the poll.

That way, there's 4 winners.

Could someone who got one of the first 3 places also be eligible in winning the spotlight? That's up to you guys to decide.

@n1xx lol I decided not to do my original AMV idea because I'm too lazy to re-watch every single episode of Rurouni Kenshin. Instead, I'm doing Samurai X. LOL Big diff, eh?

The Deadline has been Decided!

After reviewing the various results of the poll, I have come to the conclusion that most of our participants, have not made an AMV before. In spite of this, even though another high number have preferred to have only one month for the making of their AMV, I have decided to start it off with a two-month deadline. The reason for this, is basically because I'd like all who are new to this, to familiarize themselves well and have a reasonable amount of time to complete their first AMV.

As a result, the deadline will be on July 24th. :3

@Noodle
Judging by the different studios who have participated in Tekkonkinkreet's anime adaption, it is pretty safe to assume that it does fit the anime criteria for this contest. :)

@Kyuu
Actually, I have thought about that troublesome detail and have found a solution for it. I've actually approached @Gargron and @glassx with the idea of IP-Specific polls, which will not enable multi-accounts to vote more than once, on the same IP address. While this idea is still in discussion, if by the end of the deadline, the idea has been refused or not implemented, I will then proceed to your idea, which seems to be the best thing to do, as an alternative. (If you'd like to support the IP-Specific Polls idea, you can vote for it, here.)

Oh and by Samurai X, do you mean the amazing OVAs or the Movie? :D
The reason why I'm asking this, is because the terms are used quite differently on different anime encyclopedia websites.

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users