This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Summer 2011 Anime Impressions? (Thread)

Well, the first couple episodes for the summer are out. There are a lot of different titles, and some quality stuff. Something for action, drama, some cute, some horribly ugly stuff that wants to be cute, and some mystery. There's something for everybody.

What are your impressions so far of this season's anime?

I personally am really enjoying Usagi Drop. It's down to earth, fun to watch, and bloody adorable to boot. No.6 has some very interesting artistic choices, and I like the character interaction. Dantalian has a refined feel to it. You can smell the Gainax on it too, which is rather welcome. Mawaru Penguindrum is quirky and strange, but it seems to be a quality show.

Tiger and Bunny is from last season, but has another set of episodes. It's still going, and has an interesting new turn. It feels slightly different, more human than the first 13 episodes. It's still great though, and I tune in for it whenever it comes out.

Your turn. Tell me what you enjoy this season, what you don't, and why. If you want to reference the plot, use the spoiler code to do so! Or else!

Love Usagi Drop as well. Arguably the best show this season.
Mayo Chiki is turning out to be one fun guilty pleasure
Yuru Yuri surprised me as to how fun this show is.
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi got butchered to the DEEN/JC level, which is a shame.
speaking of JC Stuff up, Kamisama no Memo Chou is another prime example why you shouldn't trust in them.

now from the ones that started from April
Steins Gate is just gaining momentum ever since ep12, and has a high possibility to overtake Madoka Magica to be the best show this year
Tiger and Bunny is still great.
Ao no Exorcist dropped. It starts to get boring after the father appears less.

Ao no exorcist is still going really well actually (I just saw the latest episode and even though it doesn't seem to be following the manga anymore, it was still pretty good).

Is Kamisama no memo chou actually a good series? I know JC Staff have messed up a few of their productions (cough dream eater merry cough) I am very interested in a mystery anime and found this animes plot to be quite interesting.

I'm currently waiting for Persona 4 to come out :D

I wasn't sure about Yuru Yuri. Is it really good? It'll be another title I need to watch, but I wasn't going to bother with it.

@Kronifer
I don't really see where you're coming from regarding JC Staff.
While other Shows were often a risky business regarding enjoyability, I've found myself enjoying a damn lot of JC Staff shows these past few years. Sadly, people drop shows far too early to grasp their full potential.

Usagi Drop is pretty high ranked for me,
Yuru Yuri is great, and I'm glad it isn't another A-Channel.
Sacred Seven is pretty enjoyable, especially considering its clear art.
Kamisama Dolls got me hooked at episode 1, the 2nd wasn't as good, but I still hope it gets better again.
Kamisama no Memo-chou is pretty damn enjoyable, I loved the first 3 episodes a lot. More enjoyable than Gosick to me (which people seem to compare it with often)

Still following Nichijou and Steins;Gate, although Nichijou is probably gonna take the title of best comedy 2011 no matter what might still air.
Hanasaku Iroha is probably taking the "Best Drama" after all.

My favorites of the summer are Steins;Gate, Hanasaku Iroha, Mawaru Penguindrum, Kamisama No Memo-chou, No. 6, Uta No Prince-Sama, Mayo Chiki and The Idolm@ster.

Mawaru Penguin Drum is one of the best anime from 2011, no questions asked. It is full of originality, absolutely no moe, and holy crap is the animation beautiful. I have a feeling it'll mindfuck everyone sooner or later. If Revolutionary Girl Utena references is any indicator anyway...

Dropped Ao no Exorcist because EVERY CHARACTER IS OCC NOW. IT'S MAKING ME PISSED.

@Vivo
I swear for the love of god No. 6 is shonen-ai. OR ELSE THE HELL WOULD THERE BE A KISS SCENE BETWEEN RAT AND SHION?

Usagi Drop. Is awesome. Although it sort of reminds me of My Girl (Sahara Mizu), it's still a must watch.

Kamisama no Memochou. I loooovveee the characters. Plus that latest episode made me D'AWWWWWWWWW...

Kamisama Dolls. It's actually interesting at some points though (to me) the interest dies out every now and then.

Mawaru Penguindrum. Utena. 'Nuff said. It's a gorgeously made series. It has almost everything in a bundle.

Blood-C. It's OKAY but I think CLAMP could do better.... .__.

Dantalian no Shoka. I like how it's about books. The plot definitely won me over.

Baka to Test (season II). HIDEYOSHI IS TRAPPING EVERYONE LIKE ALWAYS. And it's still got the humor like it did back then... Except I think the humor actually escalated. By quite a lot. =w=b

Well.. I think Ao-Ex is da BEST ..although recently the story line became boooring.. but I really excited when Rin was fighting.. and yeah, without the father appear.. its becomes kinda... boring maybe

The Best Moe Ever got to be Ikoku Meiro No Croisee.. i guess

R15 is kinda.. piss me off...... cuz all the character looks like a.. its hard to describe it

yeah.. i kinda love Mayo Chiki.. XDD!
and watching Stein;Gate always make me wonder what will happen in that story..

hope something like Yosuga no Sora will be airing..

Only paying attention to Natsume Yuujinchou San and Sket Dance right now.

Natsume is still as consistently good as ever and Sket Dance has just turned really dramatic for a comedy anime.

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users