This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Stop eating tiger prawns (Thread) - Page 2

Huh. I'm proud to say that I absolutely despise shrimps/prawns. I blame the texture and taste.

Damn it people! just because some assholes in Bangladesh are doing it wrong doesn't mean that the rest of the shrimp farming nations are too.

I've got family members who own their own shrimp farm and I can assure you that the farm is privately owned and the shrimps are harvested by the members of the family.

There's also this restaurant specializing in prawns in which the prawns are harvested from right under your feet so you can actually see the prawns swimming around while you eat members of their kin.

So, if you wanna hate here, hate the Bangladeshi prawns, not the prawns themselves (unless you hate the taste of course which in that case it's your choice)

@eterno It's not only in Bangladesh that the shrimp farming is bad though...
It's good that your family has a privately owned farm, but do you know if the shrimps are grown in an environmentally friendly way? It seems pretty hard to manage that, but if your family do then that's great.
But the problem is that most sushi restaurants buy their shrimps from the bad farms, because they're usually much cheaper.
Also, it's difficult to find out if the shrimps you want to buy is from a bad farm or not.

I'll just leave this here,

@OneDollar Sorry, but I don't think he really knows what he's talking about.. There are good arguments against everything he says. It feels as if some big company like Monsanto or Nestle payed him so that people wouldn't feel guilty about polluting the earth and buying their food... Not saying he was but the audience sounded pretty... relieved.

He is a comedian and a social critic, its what he does.

@Moguo Most of the shrimp farms in my country are privately owned. They would then sell most of them on the local market or to the local food companies which would buy from multiple farmers rather than owning a bunch of farms they run themselves. These companies would then sell them to the international distributors which would ship them all over the world.

Most of these farms are inherited and run by generations of farmers. They rarely own huge farms, instead the families might own a few ponds on some sort of communal ponds.

Also it's true that it is hard to maintain these farms but instead of destroying mangroves, I heard that the concern today is that the farms aren't built fast enough in which only 5% of potential shrimp farmlands have been developed for shrimp farming. This means that not only we're not destroying the environment but we're also not even close in tapping all the potential shrimps we could have had from all these uncultivated land.

@eterno But even if they're privately owned, it doesn't help the environment much if they still use chemicals. And there's always problems with mono cultures, like that the smaller fishes dies and stuff... So isn't it good that it's just 5% and not more, because even if they build farms without chopping down mangroves, there is still the same basic problems.
I still think it's a big problem with the shrimp industry, or else the Swedish Society for Nature Conservation wouldn't have brought it up. But it might be that some farm the shrimps in a good way, and I'll try to look it up when I have time. Maybe I can trace where the shrimps comes from and how they where farmed. If I find out more about it, I'll post here.

But even if they're privately owned, it doesn't help the environment much if they still use chemicals. And there's always problems with mono cultures, like that the smaller fishes dies and stuff... So isn't it good that it's just 5% and not more, because even if they build farms without chopping down mangroves, there is still the same basic problems.

Because only 5% is utilized, there is no mono culture. In fact, it's the shrimps that are dying off instead off the fish. It's also bad that only 5% is utilized because then there will be shortages in the production and might ruin the families that depend on shrimp farming for their lives. Also, since we don't built over mangroves, there's really no reason why it would damage the ecology whatsoever.

As for the use of chemicals, the government regulates that and at the other end, there should be some more testing done on the shrimps and AFAIK, the last time we got in trouble with chems (not on shrimps) there was a threat of embargo in which the gov. quickly redeemed the situation.

We also export more than Bangladesh so it's probably the case of the Swedish choosing the wrong supplier.

I printed every email I've ever received then burn them immediately.
fuck the environment. Prawns r fucking tasty.

^On that note, don't you know that mangroves were undesirables until recently? It's because people are becoming too gay over biodiversity or global warming that they are trying to save the protozoans of the mangroves.

It's called natural selection. If the mangrovians can't develop some defense mechanism to fight off their invaders that just want to eat some crustacean goodness then they have been sentenced to death by mother nature.

@eterno
It's not mother nature that sentenced the mangroves to death, but us humans.
It's more like, just because we want to eat this shrimp and can't be satisfied with all we already have, we have to destroy a beautiful and important ecosystem. It's nothing natural about this, since all natural things, like developing defense mechanisms takes millions of years. If it were the natural way then humans would do like all other species: try to adapt and co-exist with the nature. But to quote Agent Smith, the humans are more like a virus...
You might see it as being “too gay” about biodiversity, but for me it's just that I think nature is beautiful, and that we still have much to discover about how the world works and stuff, so it'd be a real waste to destroy it. If we can maintain the biodiversity that might be good not just today, but also in the future. Also, I didn't know that the mangroves were undesirable and I don't see why they would be? Does it matter since we know today that we want them?

Because only 5% is utilized, there is no mono culture. In fact, it's the shrimps that are dying off instead off the fish. It's also bad that only 5% is utilized because then there will be shortages in the production and might ruin the families that depend on shrimp farming for their lives. Also, since we don't built over mangroves, there's really no reason why it would damage the ecology whatsoever.

If that's all true, then that's good. Not that there may be shortages in the production, but that your farms does no damage to the ecology. Although the situation remains the same in Bangladesh and other countries. Can I ask from what country your shrimps come from? That would make it easier for me to look into this, and to see from which countries Sweden buys our shrimps from.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zf37tv.jpg

Why would you eat my baby tiger prawn. :'(

http://i.imgur.com/LbhGH.jpg

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users