This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Anime and the Mark it Leaves (Thread)

I don't know if I'm the only one who doesn't watch anime for the fan service and the usual plot of having overly skinny and talented protagonists. No, I don't hate anime. In fact, I adore it. But not for the usual reasons.

Ever since taking a class about analyzing works, that's all I've been able to do when reading a book, watching an anime, or living out my everyday life. What's so fascinating to me is the points many animes make--and how we see them in daily life. Anime allows us to put people in situations, good and bad, and then determines what possible reactions could occur.

That, to me, seems incredible. Like participating in a forbidden experiment without actually harming anyone. Perhaps I'll analyse a few animes I've seen that have really impacted me in negative and positive ways sooner or later. But how about you? do you feel this way, or is anime strictly entertainment?

I don't get the question?

@MrTrain How has anime affected you?

There are threads that already ask this question

No no I understand what you are saying, I seem to be noticing this more in more. There was a time when I would watch anime I could get my hands of, but now that I am so busy I have to pick and choose and so I only really watch the higher quality anime's that make some sort of point. It's hard to really notice how deep something can be when you just watched three fan service/battle anime's before it.

Now @iMcFly , if you haven't already I suggest you watch One Outs, which was the last anime I watched. It has no ending, which is extremely depressing, however I think you will quickly start to see how deep the dialogue and actions are.

Well I mean, this is what good authors have been doing for centuries. It's just that anime came along and provided people with another medium by which to tell a story other than the humble book.

And in a way, anime is almost a better medium to tell some stories. Within animation, you aren't bound to any laws of physics and can manipulate the world and its laws as you please. In a book, the author has to spend time...coaxing the reader into an imaginary world that only exists within the author's mind. As such, the quality of the book depends entirely on the author's ability to communicate that world to the reader. The success of that communication is reflected in sales.

With animation, the author can work directly with the artist to create a visual representation of what the author has envisioned as well as provide the artist with immediate feedback so that it can be modified and refined before being presented to the viewer.

You might say that a book is a gamble as far as communicating the author's vision. But an animation, on the other hand, is a sure thing.

You guys are smart and I agree with your perspective

@Inasda I figured there would be. C:

@IIEarlGreyII I really like more "serious"-if you can call it that-animes with depressing plots. A lot of the comedy/school life ones don't really give me many ideas, but are abundant in the way of fanservice ahahah. xD I'm into dystopias, horror, and sci-fi. C: <33

@Fieyr Quite! Though novels and animations are both really good ways to express ideas, theories, etc., I love both uniquely in their own way. I feel that the art and style of anime is also a way to argue while writers have literary techniques, you know?

I don't mean to sound elitist in anyway, but I don't even feel surprised by it anymore. I hold it to the same standard of any good art work. I feel like an anime isn't even worth watching if it doesn't have some kind of value (plot, styling, symbolism, etc.)

So after awhile, it doesn't seem incredible or miraculous. It seems like a good story, and other things seem like a waste of time. It's a good story, maybe great. But after you watch/read enough like that, it seems more and more like that standard. It doesn't ruin good anime for you, it just ruins mediocre anime.

@VivoDePyre - pffft... so jaded ^_^

@iMcFly - Yep, I totally agree. In the end, if you can communicate your vision... it doesn't matter whether your title is 'author', 'animator', or 'artist'.

And maybe the strength of some books is the fact that the vision hasn't been completely realized. And instead, the author intentionally relies on the reader to fill in the missing pieces with their imagination. In that sense... a book is much more flexible since the reader can apply their own perspective such that it has deeper meaning for them.

The author draws the lines, and the reader colors it in.

hello there......what our topic all about...?

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users