This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

S.978 bill will send innocent people to jail (Thread)

This actually involves many of us who have made an AMV or used anything that is copyrighted in a video. or just anything related to it.

The bill, if its passed, will make it a felony to post anything copyrighted on the internet, this means:

no more abridged series
AMV's
game video's
pretty much 50% and more of youtubers will be sued by copyright companies
this will go for Manga and Anime online as well

FYI if you think your safe because your below 18 il let you remember when napster went down and the companies began suing children and everyone else

worse part i can see is that people like LittleKuriboh will face 5 years in jail for what? advertising a dead game through a show thats even better then what we remember in our childhood.

discuss what you think of this bill here and if you have any links to petitions against the bill please show us.

damn, that is fucked up.

Greedy old assholes only wanting to get richer. This pisses me off quite a lot, even though I don't do AMVs or game video's.

Also : It is an amendment to USC 2319, Title 18, that would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted material for the purpose of "commercial advantage or personal financial gain"

Both Klobuchar and Coons have stated that the bill is not intended to affect the aforementioned aspects, instead it would only target websites or people who profit from illegally streaming copyrighted material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_S.978

So does that mean people on youtube are safe?
As long as you don't get money for it right?

Edit: http://www.inquisitr.com/153821/free-bieber-bill-s-978-could-land-justin-bieber-in-prison/

I am now okay with this bill. GOOD LUCK AMERICA!

first of all,
how would anyone profit from AMV's
and this shit is getting us more in debt

I think youtube stars would be in fear of this bill... WHY THE F*** WOULD THEY MAKE ONE IN THE FIRST PLACE... DON'T THEY KNOW THAT IT WILL RAGE 80% OF THE GLOBAL WORLD POPULATION WHO GO TO THE INTERWEBZ!?

i dont really think at this point any politician cares about making the people happy :/

@Deftones
im still cautious call me a cynical bastard, but im sure someone will find a loophole and fuck us

Youtube is gonna get fucked up.

Could always make a Anon streaming site. Non profit site and non profit for users. Easy fix I guess.

And if users use their vids for profit it's their own fault I guess.

Lol, I just realized, even Game companies have youtube channels... they'll get sued for USING THEIR OWN VIDEOS if this bill is passed.

BURN THE BILL WITH FIRE!

@MyogiWarrior34 Err...well only people that don't have permission to use copyrighted things will be fined.I'm pretty sure they can give permission to themselves...soo no. Also...why the hell would they sue themselves...god I hope I'm not being trolled.

will this mean anime sites will be affected
can anyone answer?

@Inasda Lets hope.

@Inasda @Deftones The bill states that only streaming of unauthorized material will have consequences.So only sites that have unauthorized anime will we affected.Sites that have rights to stream the anime,like crunchyroll,will be fine.

Was just sayin' that people should torrent. That's all.

Duke Nukem: Anti-stream bills PISSES ME OFF! Dammit...

you know, this could have been a really interesting and informative thread

but the only thing people are worried about is anime? seriously, guys. i expected a higher level of maturity. streaming is already "technically" illegal, so what you're doing is already punishable by fines and possibly prison. this amendment just makes it a little more strict. as companies move on to the internet, they require better protection from pirates and people who would use their products for personal gain. however, in gaining this protection, our rights are slowly chipped away at. it doesn't go against the constitution to punish thieves (which i might remind you everyone here is if you have torrented or streamed), but it is unconstitutional to monitor the private lives of citizens, which is what would need to happen in order for the government and companies to truly be "safe" from pirates. honestly, i'm afraid of what the future may hold. 1984, anyone?

If anyone gets affected by this the most it has to be Justin Bieber. He got famous for using copyrighted songs and putting them up on youtube. So if this bill is passed he's going to jail.

That's the only upside to this bill XD Everyone's expecting it, LOL.

But that was before the bill was passed or even created...but I guess they don't care?

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users