This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Study Techniques and School Survival (Thread)

I'm making this thread for a multitude of reasons. However, the biggest ones are to set up a dedicated thread in which people can compare study/learning techniques and to create a support system for those having difficulty in their classes. This thread is meant to be a useful for anybody from college students nearing graduation to middle schoolers who hate algebra. Everybody learns differently, and there is no one master technique that fits all people. Give a few tips and take a few too. Anybody can contribute and write in tips to be added.

Generic Study Tips

• Be realistic. This is very important, and often overlooked. Don't tell yourself that you can tank out 4 hours of studying the day after Skyrim launches (personal experience) if you know you most likely can't.
  • Map out your time. Know how much time you can dedicate a day, and what commitments you have. If you have 30 pages to read in 3 days, know that you need to read 10 pages every 3 days. However, if you work for 6 hours and have class during one of those days, try to do 12 on the other days, and 6 on the busy day.
  • Establish a study time/location. This one does not apply to everybody, but I know many people who would benefit from this. Context is very important, and studying is much easier if done in a routine. Whenever I study, I do so after work/dinner in the library until 12PM. If I have something important or academic to do, I do it there. It helps me stay focused and align my mind to important things when needed.
  • Procrastinate AFTER you start. You'd be amazed how much trouble you can save yourself with this. If you start on your paper/ project/ assignment early on, you can gauge how much time something will take. You don't want to start studying the day before, and realize you can finish about 8% of the material in one hours time. (This happened to me too. Terrifying experience.)
  • Don't stress out
    Moral: If you care about what your grades may be instead of putting that energy into trying your best, you will suffocate yourself with stress. Stop caring, and you'll be able to achieve your full potential. (By: @Decae)
  • If you don't have to work, don't
    take student loans where you don't have to pay until you graduate. That way you can focus purely on studying and pay for them later when you have a better paying job. I don't know about you, but it would be impossible for me to pay for housing, food, books, and even tuition on my current job. Not even to mention gas prices, which I end up spending 50+ dollars on a week. (By: @BboyNoblesse)

Specific Tips for Different Learning Styles

Visual - - -
If you're reading a story:
-Listen and/read the book
-Draw/write what you remember
-Compare if the book matches with what you wrote draw
(By: @Inasda)

Auditory - - -
Needs content!

Kinesthetic - - -
As a Kinesthetic learner (one who learns from doing, rather than listening or seeing), I find applying the information helps me remember the most. Whenever I was memorizing the lobes of the brain, I would hold my finger up at point at the lobe I was referring to. Regardless of the topic, one of the most useful things I could do was take a practice test/quiz. By having to use the information, I was able to realize what I didn't know and practice applying the content. Creating new material or rephrasing from memory was also just as effective.

Specific Advice for School Subjects!
Biology:
-Find mnemonics or creative ways to memorize names of things.
-Try to learn common roots in biology such as eco, itis, greek/latin numerical terms (di, tri, bi, mono). If you can't remember what the word is, you may be able to derive the meaning from the name, You can find many of them here: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0907013.html
-If you're doing microbiology, think of cells as cities or machines. Try to follow the flow of energy and materials through the cell and how it would convert to the operations of a city or community.

Chemistry
-Compound your knowledge together. If you know where it is on the periodic table, you can find it's valence shell. If you can find it's valence shell, you can find what it will bind with. Chemistry teaches you multiple ways to find the same information. If you can convert it back and forth, you don't need to derive new information every time.

How to Prepare for Tests and Quizzes Efficiently
- Use flashcards. memrise.com is the greatest flashcard site I know. It's great for memorising foreign languages or vocabulary. Plus, it's really easy to make decks. I think the main reason that I believe it's the best is because it is pleasing to the eye, which, honestly, makes things easier to learn for me. (By: @Decae)

During Tests and Quizzes and Keeping Calm.
(1-7 as submitted by @Blacklight)
1) Don't fucking panic and tell yourself you can do it.
- I know this sounds retarded, but if you studied your shit then there's no reason to panic. If you do, you'll start to doubt your answers and fuck yourself over.

2) Don't go back and check over your answers UNLESS you read the question wrong. Instead, give yourself enough time to answer the question to the best of your ability, go with your gut!
-At first I was like what, all we get told is to go back and check answers but apparently you're not supposed to since you'll start to read over the other answers and doubt yourself which will fuck you over.

3) Read questions before the reading
-Saves time and makes sense

4) Answers that are too extreme or are too similar are probably trap answers
-Again just going by what she says, go for the most neutral answer?

5) Cross out answers as you go
-Once you use the all mighty power of logic to rule answers out, cross them out so you won't even give them a second glance and will help you guide you to the answer. Sometimes, you can cross out all the wrong answers and be left with the correct answer if you manage to do it.

6) Answer the easy shit first, hard crap later.
-If you're on a hotstreak of knowing all the answers to the questions and it gets ruined by some trick question fuckery; lightly circle the question on your answer doc and come back to that shit once you kill off all the nooby questions. If you do the hard shit first and get stumped, you'll create self doubt for yourself later on in the test and get the simple shit wrong, which blows.

7) Read and annotate the question
-Again like wtf I can read. But sometimes I do derp and misread something sometimes for whatever reason, If its a more complex question underline what it wants you to answer and other specifics. ie. in line 9... etc etc

How to Organize and Complete Projects on Time (and hopefully with a good grade!)
Needs content!

Effective Note Taking Strategies
- Make sure you take good notes, but don't write down EVERYTHING. (By: @pontakun)
- Make key terms & events stick out. Highlight, underline, circle, star. (By: @pontakun)
- I know it may seem tedious and annoying and really hard to keep up (I don't do this, thus I fail at life but people who do it do very well.) but it's actually very beneficial in the long run. (By: @zatsunen)

I suggest not working during semesters, it gets really difficult to balance everything out.

memrise.com

Seriously. That website is the greatest flashcard site I know. It's great for memorising foreign languages or vocabulary. Plus, it's really easy to make decks. I think the main reason that I believe it's the best is because it is pleasing to the eye, which, honestly, makes things easier to learn for me.

My technique for getting good grades is to not care if I get good grades. I will tell you a little story:

I have Honours American Literature, and an insane teacher with insane assignments. I got stressed very quickly after failing the first in-class essays and many other assignments. My parents told me they didn't care if I failed the class as long as I tried. I got over myself and stopped caring about grades. The next many assignments I had in that class, I got perfect scores in.

Moral: If you care about what your grades may be instead of putting that energy into trying your best, you will suffocate yourself with stress. Stop caring, and you'll be able to achieve your full potential.

Note: By "not caring", I don't mean slacking off. I mean changing your focus.

I like your idea of procrastinating after you start a subject.. I'll keep that in mind and do it next time.

Here's an idea:
Summarising your notes everyday after school for the subjects you learnt that day.
I know it may seem tedious and annoying and really hard to keep up (I don't do this, thus I fail at life but people who do it do very well.) but it's actually very beneficial in the long run.

During your lesson you probably write very extensive notes which can be narrowed down into key points and once you reach the end of term exams, you'll find it a lot easier to read through your summarised notes about the things you actually need to know than reading through stacks of unedited notes.

sorry but i have no real study real study tips
just if you have a hard time with books and audio stories,
-listen and/read the book
-then draw/write what you remember
-then compare if the book matches with what you wrote draw

it helps me a lot,
got nothing elsee

Thanks guys for the Content. I was considering how to implement @BboyNoblesse comment, but it doesn't expand upon much and it can't often be helped. I know personally that I need to work so I can pay for my schooling and living costs. It sucks to work while in schooling, but it's not always a choice.

I'll be making some more sections when I can, expect some more in an hour or so. Keep the advice coming guys, and feel free to ask for homework help here.

Is Vivo... Ned?
http://sharetv.org/images/neds_declassified_school_survival_guide-show.jpg

But seriously, this seems like it will be useful ;u Thanks!

As helpful as this is to get you through grade school, when you get to college and you're experiencing the same problem as when you were in grade school just remember one thing: You have choices now.

Make sure you take good notes, don't write down EVERYTHING.

Make key terms & events stick out. Highlight, underline, circle, star.

If you have google chrome and you have trouble concentrating, use pomodoro. It's a good app that lets you block the certain websites that you like to frequent.

Sometimes, I do homework with friends that are productive-especially when I need help understanding something. If you choose to have study groups, choose wisely with the people you invite into it. 2-3 is a good number.

@Decae I just checked out memrise. Their flashcard system reminds me of Farmville (these words may be harvested in 4 hours!)

Cute yet educational ~^^~ Thank you

@Vivo It's possible though, take student loans where you don't have to pay until you graduate. That way you can focus purely on studying and pay for them later when you have a better paying job. I don't know about you, but it would be impossible for me to pay for housing, food, books, and even tuition on my current job. Not even to mention gas prices, which I end up spending 50+ dollars on a week.

generally you want to precrastinate:
English is a bitch, especially in AP/honors/accelerated classes. therefore, even if you absolutely hate yourself for doing this, sparknote that shit AND read the book. Taking notes by writing INSIDE the book is a must to completely absorb the information of the book like a sponge.

Also this (give credit to @SENsei though):
if you have the time, record your voice reading a chapter or a passage or even some notes you took from class.
if you are as skilled as SENsei is, you can multitask by reading the text WHILE listening to the ones you have already recorded.

I think SENsei's technique might not apply for all, but i most definitely think that many auditory learners can benefit from this.

During tests and quizes, bring some food that won't create a mess. Bring some mint gum or your favorite candy or brain food and become comfortable. If you have already been inside the classroom, chances are you won't freak out from the external stimuli. also, remember to bring some extra clothing esp. in the winter time because some ghetto ass schools be saving pennies by freezing up their students yo.

For Kinesthetic people like me (im all three btw), i would always need application to actually understand core concepts. That is why when i took physics, i pretty much went through my notes and said "fuck this shit", and pretty much learnt physics by just applying principles in physics with real world applications.
try cracking an egg by throwing it against a loose blanket. there is impulse for you.
swing a baseball bat and hit a pole. hit the pole from different measurement from where your hands are positioned. you find that u are most destructive when you have more length between your hands and the hitting point of the bat. optimum destruction by application of force.
hit a piece of wood with a hammer. hit a piece of wood with a nail with the same force (use the hammer). imagine you use a warhammer on a person. now imagine a gun. one maims, one absolutely kills. Concentration of force my dear mmm
(I got nothing for fucking magnets, how do they work?)

Also, the biggest thing is to know why you are studying. The reward is enormous for the most meritorious (is that even a word?) person. smart ppl usually get money, fuck bitches an' hoes, rig elections, be on a motherfucking boat, etc etc..

that being said, there NEEDS to be a reason for your hard work. having small rewards every time interval you do well will reinforce that Pavlovian method, thereby you will be a good "dog", or student.

History haha i rabu it~ basically, its English but u cant totally bullshit the entire thing because you know, you have facts to memorize. The thing people fail to understand is that history is FUN. yeah fun. Debating and making ppl mad with politics is all-around jolly making for trolls and debaters like dis Baconboss rite here. inflame esp. the nationalistic pplz. they be srs about their nations.

Math. fucking memorize the application and the formulas. Oh god the formulas. Also, write all you know every other day. You will NEVER forget anything.
after that, its basically punching in a bunch of formulas

Fucking Foreign language. B4 u flame me, i am quadlingual, so i know wut the bacon i am doing. all you need to do is speak, and speak as much as possible, preferably with someone better in the language of question than you. also, think in the languages you wish to improve on, even in mundane things like "what the fuck is up with that bitch?!" --spanish> que pasa la perra mala, dios?!
also confusing the fuck out of the class is a sure plus, unless ur dumb

Gym: boys, lift weights and stretch. look good. girls: stop being useless and lift SOME 5-10 lbs. you will lose something, and no you wont look buff cause you be lifting dem 5 lbs weights. I lift more than my body weight (140lbs), and im still otterfit. unless you jack up on proteins (max consumption is 30 grams of protein/hour btw, cause you WILL piss extra out), and lift like 2-3 hours a day, everyday and run too.
all the other gym classes (unless specifically sports team related) are full of faggots and losers. mmm

For AP/SAT 2 subject tests, I'd recommend just getting the test prep material. so much better. don't fucking procrastinate like me. i went over 300 pages in 4 days god damn...
ACT/SAT are just fundamental stuff from HS so if you can't get at least a 2000 or 30, you haven't been listening to shit in HS. your damn fault. congrats. Go learn HS basics in a week nigga. lol

For projects, all imma say is
1) start the damn project EARLY. finish at least half of the project when you are nearing the 1/4 time frame.
2) Don't meet expectations. Exceed them. The teacher will be impressed but don't overexpend your time by going 200% of all requirments. thats just full-blown nigga retarded. if 100 gets you 100, do 110 to 120. The teacher will respect you for that.

Lol i hope this helped @VivoDePyre

sheeeit i be writing a fucking essay yo! mmm XD

My current Humanities teacher was a private SAT tutor for ~5 years or more, I forgot, but anyway,she always spits out this stuff she was paid to do before big ass tests. Here's some that I remember (mostly for English tests)

1) Don't fucking panic and tell yourself you can do it.
- I know this sounds retarded, but if you studied your shit then there's no reason to panic. If you do, you'll start to doubt your answers and fuck yourself over.

2) Don't go back and check over your answers UNLESS you read the question wrong. Instead, give yourself enough time to answer the question to the best of your ability, go with your gut!
-At first I was like what, all we get told is to go back and check answers but apparently you're not supposed to since you'll start to read over the other answers and doubt yourself which will fuck you over.

3) Read questions before the reading
-Saves time and makes sense

4) Answers that are too extreme or are too similar are probably trap answers
-Again just going by what she says, go for the most neutral answer?

5) Cross out answers as you go
-Once you use the all mighty power of logic to rule answers out, cross them out so you won't even give them a second glance and will help you guide you to the answer. Sometimes, you can cross out all the wrong answers and be left with the correct answer if you manage to do it.

6) Answer the easy shit first, hard crap later.
-If you're on a hotstreak of knowing all the answers to the questions and it gets ruined by some trick question fuckery; lightly circle the question on your answer doc and come back to that shit once you kill off all the nooby questions. If you do the hard shit first and get stumped, you'll create self doubt for yourself later on in the test and get the simple shit wrong, which blows.

7) Read and annotate the question
-Again like wtf I can read. But sometimes, I do derp and misread something, sometimes, for whatever reason. If it's a more complex question underline what it wants you to answer and other specifics. ie. in line 9... etc etc

• If you do #7 correctly, then you shouldn't have to go back and recheck your shit if you follow #2 cause you didn't misread :P

This ones an iffy one, but I believe she said if one answer starts with "Although", and the others don't, it's usually the answer. Again, she was doing this for years and all the although answers were always right. At least I think it was although, I'll go ask her tomorrow and reconfirm.

Hope this helps :D

Alright, I had test earlier today that I was studying my ass of for (this test prompted this thread, btw). Now it's done, and I can update this thread. I'll get to adding content after responding to some quick things.

@PureBoredom Nope, I'm the janitor. I won't lie though, I did think of this show after I made the title.

@eterno I'm not sure quite what you mean by that. A lot of us are in college or high school. I personally am in college, and currently discovering that I have no idea how to study. (Mostly because everything prior was a cakewalk.)

@pontakun Good suggestions, especially the one about Pomodoro. I'll be sure to add those up top.

@BboyNoblesse It is possible to take out that many student loans, yes. I know without loans I'd be homeless and with about 1/4 of my tuition payed. However, student loans don't cover everything very easily. I'd say a part time job or some kind parents are required if you want to live comfortably while in schooling. Also, I have a friend who works a job because he maxed out his subsides loans and didn't have enough left over.

@PigBoss I really appreciate all the effort you put into writing that, but your language is a little... rough. It's not quite in proper adding condition. If you want it added up top, I can paraphrase you? Just give me permission and I'll do it.

@Blacklight Awesome tips man, I'll be sure to grab this and throw them under the test/quiz section.

And to everybody in general, thanks for posting!

@Vivo What about working in between semesters? My brother made enough money, one summer, to pay his tuition in full, by roofing though. He lost it all by gambling, but he made enough.

lol do wut u need to do vivo~
it was fun writing for 10 minutes XD

oh and give credit to @SENsei for the voice recording thingy mmm

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users