This is the archive of the old Colorless! Go to the new Colorless →

Your Thoughts on Catholicism... (Thread)

I personally am Catholic and i understand a lot of people have their own thoughts on it, whether good or bad...I am not posting this to go crazy on the non-Catholics I just want to hear what other people think of this religion...and i'm not here to start a retarded religious war either. Thank You :)

im catholic
idk wat other people think lol!
but its nice believing in something
having faith is good!

haha yeah i noticed not a lot of people on here are...thats cool though! I think its good to believe in something as well.

Before I say anything, are you trying to challenge/strengthen your own beliefs or are you trying to learn how your group is portrayed to the community? Similarly, how brutally honest are you desiring here. (within bounds of respect, of course)

@VivoDePyre No I will probably always follow this faith...be as honest as you want i just have been living around Catholics my whole life; Church, School....I just want to get a better understanding of what other people think but i doubt it will effect my beliefs because well I have learned so much about it i dont think i would want to change my beliefs...

Well, such dedication is respectable.

Here is a brief overview of complaints your average non-religious person may have with the catholic faith: Many of the members are old fashioned and overly conservative, to the point of being offensive to members of other communities. Similarly, though better as of recently, catholics have been known to be less pro-faith and more anti-science, to the point of denying natural selection or global warmning/climate change.

Other varieties of Christian have some more specific complaints: Little drawn from the bible itself. Too much focus on the virgin Mary, answering to the pope/having the pope exalted above other men. Purgatory is an idea created by the Catholic church, with no roots in the bible itself. Repeated offerings to Christ are required by the Catholic church via Mass, where as the bible claims this is not necessary. (Hebrews: 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.)

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. =)

Thank You for your reply...it did answer some of my questions...and I totally understand and respect what you are saying. Thank you again! :)

I agree with @VivoDePyre about the Christian views of other denominations. In addition, they broke the Decalogue by worshipping idols. But well, it's better to have faith than none

@ShizouLover96. Yup. I'm sure. They also pray, kneel and bow down to some other saints too. (which is of course part of idol worshipping) They deleted the 2nd Commandment in the Decalogue (Exodus 20)
Lucius Ferraris also states this in the Prompta Bibliotheca Canonica, Juridica, Moralis, Theologica, Ascetica, Polemica, Rubristica, Historica Volume V:
* "The Pope is of great authority and power, that he is able to modify, declare, or interpret even divine laws. The Pope can modify divine law, since his power is not of man, but of God, and he acts as vicegerent of God upon earth..."

It says in the Bible that no one can change the law (Matthew 5:17) Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Anyway, I don't hate them or anything.

@gyl Thank you for replying If you don't mind me asking when did the Catholics worship Idols? >Just want to be sure of what you are saying -Thank you

You are on the old site. New site is here:

The site has been updated on the 24th December 2011. Please go there when you are finished with the archives.

• 481,435 posts
  • 2,075 threads
  • 23,121 users